- #atheist #atheism -
There seems to be a type of theist, who will bombard you with reasons why atheism is wrong as soon as you identify as an atheist. This is very tiresome as it usually doesn’t deal at all, with my objections to your claim that gods exist.
Let me try to break it down.
- Atheism only means I do not accept your claim that gods exist. It is defined only by this claim. It starts and stops at this point.
- Atheism doesn’t mean I believe the universe was created from nothing. Technically, that is the belief of the Abrahamic religions. As an atheist, I make no claims about the origin of the universe. (And a big-bang singularity isn’t nothing).
- Atheism doesn’t mean I think my existence is all down to blind chance. Atheism makes no claims about the origin of the human species. Evolutionary biology does make claims, but doesn’t rely upon blind chance. There’s a reason the term ‘selection’ appears in ‘natural selection’. It’s because it’s selective, not random. See the obvious clue?
- Atheism doesn’t mean my life has no meaning. I get plenty of satisfaction from my friends and family, and the work I do with wildlife. If being devoted to your family isn’t enough for you, then that’s not my problem is it?
- Atheism doesn’t mean I’m a nihilist or a Marxist. It just means one thing. I cannot accept your claim that gods exist on the basis of the supplied evidence.
See, all very simple. The only thing you can deduce if I’m an atheist, is I haven’t accepted your claim that your god exists. There is nothing else about the nature of the world, the universe or the meaning of life you can infer from that label.
Any arguments that presume my atheism goes beyond that rejection of your claim, is simply fallacious. So it’s actually very simple. All you have to do to prove my atheism is erroneous, is prove your god exists.